Top 5 Tips To Optimize Your Instagram Posting in 2021
We are always reading industry research to help our clients get the best results from their organic social media strategies. Here are some of the key findings we found valuable in a recent report from Hubspot and Mention.
- Videos get more engagement than images. A post with a video gets about 50-60% more likes and comments than a post with an image. Over the past few years, the effectiveness of single image posts has declined relative to videos.
- Varying caption length will not materially change the engagement with a post. The key is to ensure that you have over 20 characters for your caption.
- Having hashtags is better than not having hashtags. The sweet spot is having just one hashtag. To get better engagement than the single hashtag, you should consider adding 15 or more.
4. Like hashtags, having tags is better than not having tags. Try to add a few tags per post, but going beyond a handful quickly shows diminishing returns.
5. The best time to post depends on your target user geography. For example in India, the best time to post is 5-8pm, in Sao Paulo, Brazil, it is 6-9pm, and in Los Angeles, USA it is 5-9am. If you can’t find data for your target geography, 6-8pm local time is a good target.
Instagram is still rapidly growing and now has over a billion monthly active users. There are over 8 million business accounts, and about a third of the most viewed stories come from businesses. If you are actively marketing your business on Instagram, these 5 tips should help you get more attention and engagement.
And as a bonus, a 6th tip: avoid using banned Instagram hashtags. Using these hashtags will decrease your engagement and reach without you even knowing.
Data source: Instagram Engagement Report